Karyn ReNae Anderson





Meet Karyn ReNae Anderson, a caregiver, incredible cook, leader for change for the blind, and employee at Caregiver Connections.  She is also visually impaired but that does not stop her from being a community icon.  Her voice will change you. 
My name is Karyn Renee Anderson and I have the challenge of being visually impaired.  I am completely blind; I was not born this way.  I was an artist before I lost my sight.  I was a graphic designer.  I loved doing art and when I was 27 years old, I lost my sight due to some complications with medication.   At that time, I didn’t know what I was going to do. Now, I work for Caregiver Connections.   
In steps Wendy Miller, Board of Directors president for Caregiver Connections.  She took that leap, the one where she looked past Karyn ReNae’s challenge. Wendy looked at Karyn ReNae’s passion, personality, vision for Caregiver Connections, ability to build relationships, and her positive energy.  Wendy trusted in Karyn ReNae’s abilities.
Karyn ReNae recognizes that being blind has made some challenges that cause her to do things a little bit differently.  This does not stop her from serving on numerous committees throughout the county and throughout the region.  Karyn ReNae holds many leadership roles in a wide variety of organizations. 
Her life is so like everybody else’s.  “I married my husband after I lost my sight and we were foster parents in Colorado Springs for a few years.  We adopted our one son who is now 18.  I love working with kids.  I love being with kids.  I love hiking and swimming and I cook, and crochet.  I just do all things that anyone else would do.  I just do it because I love it.  There is nothing I can’t do unless I choose not to do it.
Being blind, one thing that really frustrates me is that people think blindness associates with stupidity, that I don’t know anything.  They also think I am deaf, and they will yell when they want something.   Just accept me for who I am because I’m pretty darn good.  I’m a cool person.”  Wendy believes in Karyn ReNae because she sees her as a whole person. 

Does your workplace employ someone with a challenge like Karyn ReNae’s?  What accommodations are necessary, if any?
Resources:
Hiring someone with a “disability”:  https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/disability/hiring
Financial Resources for hiring someone with a “disability”:  https://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/employing-people-with-disabilities.aspx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Will Dance - A book by Nancy Bo Flood

La Esperanza de Emily and COVID-19 Aid